Monday, March 22, 2010

Product Placement

Another weekend has passed and once again, I've spent it working on my thesis. Since I'm analyzing the use of product placement in 'fashion films', I have to check which brands I and my two 'assistants' (my sister and boyfriend) are featured in the four films I've selected for my research.

Remember when I did the same thing for Sex and the City?

Back then I spotted 25 different high end fashion brands. My sister did the same thing two weeks ago, and got 23 brands, while my boyfriend found 17, if I can figure out his hand writing correctly. Chanel got a leading role in the movie since it was featured the most amongst the brands.

Yesterday, my boyfriend helped me out with The Devil Wears Prada. And Patricia Field and the producers did a great job on this one. Just by recognizing bags, boxes, and labels in the back drop, or listening to which designers and fashion houses the characters are talking about we've found a whole list of fashion brands; Although he claimes he doesn't have a good eye for these sort of 'where-is-wolford?' and other brand recognition-games, my boyfriend spotted 30 different brands. My list on the other hand featured 32 labels. Once again Chanel was the big winner, although Prada is mentioned in the title and gets the spotlight.

I'm planning to do the same thing for Confessions of a Shopaholic, Funny Face and Prêt-à-Porter, which should be interesting since the two latter are more of a parody on the fashion world. Furthermore, I'm going to analyze the four films on what message they send out; a Hollywood dream world or rather "don't sell your soul for shoes and bags"?

Either way, although the high amount of brands featured in these films might be irritating for the viewer, they don't disrupt the film experience, nor are they perceived as payed advertisement. Since the main story is set in the fashion world, it is only natural that the characters talk constantly about their favorite fashion label or that bags and recognizable must-haves are lying around in the background? And that all of the scenes take place in luxurious fashion stores and fashion salons? The fashion film is the natural habitat of product placement, and this without giving the crowd the feeling that they're watching a commercial...

Think again, this scene bothered me the most...



3 comments:

  1. Ik weet niet hoeveel ik er zou spotten, zeker niet zo veel, tenzij ik heel attent kijk mss...
    Carrie's trouwjurk scene was net één van mijn favorieten :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. je moet het gewoon eens proberen, die producten en logo's zijn echt supergoed in beeld! :D je zou ze er allemaal uithalen!

    ik vond de shoot op zich heel mooi, maar gewoon dat opsommen van merken vond ik er gewoon zwaar over. ik zou willen weten hoeveel die merken hebben betaald om vermeld te worden :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi tiffany, me to working on Product Placement in Bollywood Movies for my PhD. We can be in touch surely...u can mail me at jayantajd@tezu.ernet.in

    ReplyDelete