Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas films

First of all, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with the ones you love. I had a great time to say the least. And eventhough we spent most of the evening/day at the dinner table, there was never a dull moment.

Every Christmas though, on the Belgian and Dutch television stations the same kind of movies are being aired. (Think: Home Alone, Home Alone 2, Elf and many B-rated movies) We never really watch them. However, there is one film that is usually programmed during the holidays that I do watch: Sissi. It reminds me of lazy December nights at my grandmother's where we would watch Italian dubbed movies like Gone With The Wind. Today on the other hand, it caught my attention since I have to study the empress' wardrobe for the my exams in January.

In this portrait she is dressed by Charles Frederick Worth, the first designer known in history. Before that, authorship did not exist in the 'industry' and fashion trends were not dictated by one single person. In 1862 Worth introduced the oval shaped crinoline, which was flat at its frontside.

These are some photographs of the older, round ones. The biggest crinolines could have a diameter of 2 and a half meter, which is crazy. How did those women move at all? Many men at that time were not very keen on those 'skirts' since they kept their ladies on a asocial distance. However, I would love to go back in time for a day and try one of those dresses on. I guess one would feel like a princess in a heartbeat.



No comments:

Post a Comment