Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Newsreel

Now, that first post was a pretty formal introduction.
I hope that this didn't set the tone for what I am planning to do with this blog.

Ever since I started to work on my thesis, I've discovered many cool things on how fashion and film interact.
And since I believe that knowledge should be shared, in stead of gathering dust in some library basement, I am going to post some of my findings here.



So, I just finished my first chapter on the 'birth' of the fashion film.
Did you know that at the start of the last century newsreels shown in theaters finally offered the fashion minded crowd a way to literally look into the latest trends? Until then, they could only read about them in newspapers and fashion magazines. Later these cinémagazines evolved and small story lines were incorporated around these fashion shows.

Movies like Funny Face or The Devil Wears Prada took this to the next level, but you all know that, don't you?
But did you know that British Pathé has an online archive with hundreds of these fashion news items, for instance on Dior and Pucci?


DIOR 'CIRCUS' COMES TO TOWN



(EMILIO PUCCI - FASHION DESIGNER)

No comments:

Post a Comment